How To Clean Your Camera Lens: Two Easy Steps
A speck or two of dust on your camera lens should not bother you. You can carry on making with it unless the dust becomes visible on your images.
If this happens, this guide on how to clean your camera lens will come in handy. It’s easy! You only need to follow two steps. Let’s start!
Before we proceed with the easy process of how to clean camera lens, here are important things you should know:
- Let an authorized service center clean the dust INSIDE your camera lens. You should only clean the front and back elements of your lens.
- Clean the lens only when necessary. Constantly cleaning and mishandling might cause scratches on the glass and its coating.
With that, let us proceed.
What to clean camera lens with? You will need the following:
- A lens blower or a lens brush
- Lens cleaning solution
- Lens cleaning tissue, wipes, or cloth
- Use lens cleaning solutions and tissues that are recommended by manufacturers.
Step 1: Blow Or Brush
No, you don’t blow your lens with your mouth. That’s the job for your lens blower. Sometimes, all you need to do is to apply a few puffs of this thing to get the cleaning done.
However, if it does not suffice, you can also use a lens cleaning brush to do the job. Always make sure to remove dust from the glass surface before proceeding to the next step.
- Squeeze your lens blower for a few puffs before using it on your lens. This way, you get rid of some debris that might have accumulated inside.
- When using the blower, hold it very close to the lens to avoid blowing other airborne particles into the glass.
- Make sure your lens brush is clean.
- Your brush must have very soft, fine bristles to avoid scratches.
- Gently brush the lens surface.
- Make sure you cover or cap the brush after use.
Final Step: Spray And Wipe
Again, make sure that your lens’ surface is dust-free before proceeding. If you have done so, it’s time for the final step of how to clean camera lens.
Spray or pour a few drops of the lens cleaning solution onto the cleaning tissue or microfiber cloth. You may also use pre-moistened lens cleaning wipes for this step.
Work through your lens in small, concentric circles with your wipes, tissue, or cloth. Start from the center. Do this until your lens is clear from any spot or smudges.
The cleaning solution should immediately evaporate.
- Do not use any random fabric or your cotton shirt to wipe your lens.
- Do not wipe across the lens.
- Use a cleaning fluid made with denatured alcohol.
Blow or dry, then spray and wipe! That’s how to clean your camera lens.
Although it’s easy and convenient, do not do this often. As we have said, clean off dust from your camera lens only when it affects your image quality. If it doesn’t, just keep on shooting! Learn how to repair your camera lens here!
By: Albert Mittle
Having a camera is a big responsibility. It does not end when you already purchased it; it’s just the beginning of its care and maintenance.
By: Richard Casey
Most people invest in good quality cellphones since nowadays they have many uses. They can be your alarm clock, computer, note pad, and a way to connect with your loved ones.
By: Richard Casey
It’s inevitable. Shooting in different locations and changing lens will eventually lead to your camera collecting dust on both its external and internal parts.