How To Format SD Card On Camera
It is also important to format your SD card when it becomes filled with too many videos and photos, as they might become corrupted, or your SD card may get infected with viruses. Every camera may have slightly different instructions on formatting SD cards; they all follow the same general procedure. These are the simple steps on how to format SD card on camera.
When to Format Your SD Card
I know you are confused about the difference between format and reformat. They said these two have the same thing, but the difference is when you say 'format,' it means it is the first time an SD card is formatted. On the other hand, 'reformat' means the subsequent times the SD card is formatted.
If you are wondering when to format and how to format SD card on camera, here is a simple guide for you.
- Format your camera's SD card at least once a month or so if you regularly delete or transfer pictures and videos to your personal computer.
- Format your SD card once you encounter a problem or receive an error message while using the SD card. It is important to format your SD card to restore its original state from having a corrupted file system.
- Format your SD card twice and make sure your files cannot be recovered when you are planning to give it to someone else. If your SD card contains private and confidential files such as photos and videos, so make sure to format it correctly.
Things to Remember Before You Format SD Card on Camera
In learning how to format SD card on camera, there are several things you have to remember before you format your SD card. First on the list is, you should remember that the steps to format your SD card on your camera may vary depending on what camera brand you are using. It is advisable to read the camera's instruction manual or look on the manufacturer's website to find the instruction or information on how to format SD card on camera.
When you format your SD card, it doesn't mean it is completely deleted all the files. When you format your SD card, it only removes the reference to the files. Once you accidentally format your SD card, you can use a data recovery software tool to recover the files on your SD card.
Steps to Format SD Card on Camera
Using your camera in formatting your SD card is the most efficient method as it minimizes the chance of errors. The following are the simple and easy steps on how to format sd card on camera.
- Make sure to save or back up your files. Do not format your SD card if you haven't backed up the files of your SD card, especially when it comes to data security. You can back up your files on your computer or any cloud storage services.
- Make sure your camera is fully charged.
- Turn off your camera and make sure you correctly inserted the SD card on your camera.
- Turn on your camera, and click the Menu button.
- Choose the Setup menu in the camera display.
- Scroll down until you see the Format card.
- Select the Format card or Format Memory Card.
- Select OK.
- Wait until the camera formats your SD card. This may take a few minuted to format your SD card.
- Turn off your camera when the SD card is successfully formatted.
Learning how to format SD card on camera is pretty easy and simple. Remember that the process of formatting the SD card on your camera may depend on what brand your camera is, but in general, they almost have similarities.
If you are using a Canon camera, go to Menu > Setup > Format Card. Choose the SD card you want to format and then click OK. On the other hand, if you are using a Nikon camera, go to Menu > Setup > Format Memory Card. Choose the SD card you want to format and then click OK. In case you are having a hard time finding the format card option, check the user manual of your camera or look for an online reference manual of your camera. Know more about camera SD cards.
By: Albert Mittle
If you’re looking for the perfect wire-free security camera to keep an eye on your front porch or backyard, invest in Ring security cameras.