The installation of a doorbell camera is an excellent way of augmenting security measures in your home. It’s a handy device with multiple benefits that add to your peace of mind. In the following section, we’ll talk about the advantages of video doorbell installation and how to install a doorbell camera.
The 6 Advantages of Doorbell Camera Installation
- It makes an excellent thief deterrent. Thieves know it can be extra challenging breaking into homes with doorbell camera. There is a higher chance they will be caught, or their identities are revealed. With that, burglars will likely give your home a pass and proceed onto the next target.
- It is a valuable source of information. If the burglar ever gets into your home, you can check the video footage taken by your doorbell camera. It may provide the evidence you need to pin the culprit or in filing for an insurance claim.
- It spares you from guessing who’s on the other side of the door. Sometimes someone unexpected knocks or buzzes on your door, and you become apprehensive if you should open the door, especially during the wee hours of the day. Having a doorbell camera allows you to know who’s on the other side and helps you decide if you should open.
- It proves proof of delivery arrival. Sometimes a delivery man will claim you weren’t home when they delivered, when they didn’t. Your doorbell camera footage can settle the dispute.
- It adds value to your property. People are now taking home security measures more seriously these days. If your home features a doorbell camera, it becomes more appealing for possible buyers.
- It can slash your home insurance premiums. More and more home insurance companies have started offering discounts to homes with security features, such as a doorbell camera.
Types of Doorbell Cameras
Before we proceed with the guide on how to install doorbell camera, we need to know the types, first. There are two primary types of doorbell cameras, the battery-operated and the hardwired. Of the two, battery-operated are easier to install. Hardwired doorbell cameras are a bit challenging to deal with since they require wiring and lined power sources to work. Here are other pros and cons of each doorbell camera type.
- Cheaper in price.
- Flexible as it allows installation even without wiring.
- Some have power outlets to allow connection to your doorbell wiring.
Hardwired Doorbell Camera
- Hardwired doorbells have more advanced features like 24/7 recording capability and block monitoring.
- It is more durable than a battery-operated doorbell camera.
- It is more expensive.
Before you shop for this device, check if your home features a hardwired doorbell or a battery-operated one. This way, you can pursue buying a compatible type of doorbell camera.
Installation of Battery-Operated Doorbell Camera
Different products may be installed differently, so it is best to always check for the manufacturer’s instruction when out to connect any device. However, to give you an idea on how to install doorbell camera that is battery-operated, here’s a guide you can use.
- Familiarize the battery mechanism of your device. Some battery-operated doorbell cameras have a micro USB cable to charge the batteries, and so you will need to detach the device every charging time. But there are units with a removable battery pack that eliminates the need to take off the device for charging. You can change the batteries to continue operation.
- Attach the doorbell to the wall. Most doorbell cameras have mounting brackets for easy installation. However, if your wall is made from specialized materials such as bricks or stone, you may need specific anchors and drill bits for a more robust attachment. After securing the bracket, affix the doorbell. Do not forget to attach the security screws at the lower part of the doorbell using a specialized screwdriver provided by the company. It is an anti-theft mechanism.
- Set up the doorbell camera Application if there’s any. Most doorbell cameras allow you to monitor video through your phone, tablet, or computer. To gain access, you have to download the app on your devices and set up an account. Using the app, register your doorbell to the WiFi network, and you can start customizing the setting to your preference. Some doorbell cameras come with a motion-sensitive feature that captures passing people or objects.
- Secure a doorbell chime. Some doorbell cams have plug-in chime while others don’t. Having a plug-in chime will alert people in your home for visitors because the app will only send an alert on your phone.
Installation of Hardwired Video Doorbell
Here’s your guide on how to install doorbell camera that is hardwired.
- Secure wiring connection. Make sure your connection gives the right amount of voltage required to operate your new doorbell. Also, ensure safety by turning off the circuit breaker that serves power to the line you are working.
- Remove the old doorbell and mount the new one. This task requires some technical electrical skills. If you are not handy with this type of job, it’s best to call for help to ensure your installation’s safety and success.
- Set Up the Doorbell Application. You will need to download the video doorbell’s application, set up an account, and connect the device to your WIFI so that it sends notifications to your devices. You can also choose settings that the device supports.
A doorbell camera is a must-have security feature in every home. This device helps you achieve a more secure space and provides comfort and convenience by allowing access to your smart devices. The installation process should not deter you from getting one as it can be done in a breeze with this guide on how to install doorbell camera. Find out more about doorbell cameras.