Buying and selling stuff online has been a part of our daily life. The web is bustling with apps and websites where we can view and purchase a variety of products. We can acquire or trade just about anything—using our mobile phones, computers, and the Internet.
If you are an online seller, you must know that high-quality photos of any product affect your sales. With this, you would have considered setting up a portable photo studio.
This article will give you a step-by-step guide on how to set up a portable photography studio. We will also give you hacks on how to take great product photos using it.
Things You Need
A portable photography studio setup kit, also called a light tent, is a box-like device used to photograph products on white background. You can photograph items anywhere you want, as it is handy and light.
You can buy a portable photo studio, or you can make one yourself. If you choose the latter, here’s a list of the things you need:
- A medium-sized box – the size is up to you
- Diffusing sheets
- Bright white poster boards – make sure it is clean and has no creases
- Two clip lamps with fluorescent bulbs at 100 watts each
- Duct tape
- Box cutter
Steps To Make Your Own Portable Photo Studio
Follow these steps to make your own portable photo studio:
- Put the box together.
- Measure your diffusing sheets relative to the box. The sheets must be large enough to cover the sides of the box.
- Cut two sides of the box with a box cutter, leaving 1 ½ inches borders. Take off the cut-out part.
- Cut the poster board according to the size of the box.
- Put tape on one end of the poster board.
- Tape it inside the box to serve as background.
- Put the diffusing sheets on top of the box in a way that it drapes to the sides of the box where you’ve cut away the part, leaving only the borders.
- Secure the diffusing sheets on the box with tape.
- Place each light on the sides covered by the diffusing sheets. Make sure they are of the same distance.
- Turn them on, and you can start shooting!
Tips For Great Product Photos
Here are some tips on product photography to make your photos look sharp and professional
- Always use proper lighting.
- Use a tripod for better camera handling. If you’re using a smartphone, you may not need a tripod as it is light and easier to handle.
- Get inspiration from products that you love.
- Apply the rule of thirds.
- Take as many shots as you want and from different angles. With variety, you can choose the best shots.
Follow Your Passion and Make Your Dream Come True
It’s easy how to set up a portable photography studio. You can save money if you make it on your own. Materials can be bought in your local dollar stores. Make a DIY portable photo studio, shoot your products beautifully, post them online, and earn some money! Learn more camera DIY tips here!