How To Setup A Portable Photography Studio: DIY Project Worth Your Try
Buying and selling stuff online has been a part of our daily life. The web is bustling with apps and websites where we can view and purchase a variety of products. We can acquire or trade just about anything—using our mobile phones, computers, and the Internet.
If you are an online seller, you must know that high-quality photos of any product affect your sales. With this, you would have considered setting up a portable photo studio.
This article will give you a step-by-step guide on how to set up a portable photography studio. We will also give you hacks on how to take great product photos using it.
Things You Need
A portable photography studio setup kit, also called a light tent, is a box-like device used to photograph products on white background. You can photograph items anywhere you want, as it is handy and light.
You can buy a portable photo studio, or you can make one yourself. If you choose the latter, here’s a list of the things you need:
- A medium-sized box – the size is up to you
- Diffusing sheets
- Bright white poster boards – make sure it is clean and has no creases
- Two clip lamps with fluorescent bulbs at 100 watts each
- Duct tape
Steps To Make Your Own Portable Photo Studio
Follow these steps to make your own portable photo studio:
- Put the box together.
- Measure your diffusing sheets relative to the box. The sheets must be large enough to cover the sides of the box.
- Cut two sides of the box with a box cutter, leaving 1 ½ inches borders. Take off the cut out part.
- Cut the poster board according to the size of the box.
- Put tape on one end of the poster board.
- Tape it inside the box to serve as background.
- Put the diffusing sheets on top of the box in a way that it drapes to the sides of the box where you’ve cut away the part, leaving only the borders.
- Secure the diffusing sheets on the box with tape.
- Place each light on the sides covered by the diffusing sheets. Make sure they are of the same distance.
- Turn them on, and you can start shooting!
Tips For Great Product Photos
Here are some tips on product photography to make your photos look sharp and professional
- Always use proper lighting.
- Use a tripod for better camera handling. If you’re using a smartphone, you may not need a tripod as it is light and easier to handle.
- Get inspiration from products that you love.
- Apply the rule of thirds.
- Take as many shots as you want and from different angles. With variety, you can choose the best shots.
It’s easy how to set up a portable photography studio. You can save money if you make it on your own. Materials can be bought in your local dollar stores. Make a DIY portable photo studio, shoot your products beautifully, post them online, and earn some money! Learn more camera DIY tips here!
By: David Tunic
Cameras and lights flashing. Models changing clothes. Make-up artists retouching looks. This is the normal scenario that we can observe in a fashion photoshoot.
By: David Tunic
Photography as either a hobby or a professional is fun, rewarding, and profitable, so you might be wondering how to get started in photography?