How To Set Up A White Background For A Photography Shoot?
A dazzling, clean white background attracts any viewer's eyes. This type of photography style can easily draw anyone's attention. If you want to know how to set up a white background for photography, portraits, and product photos, check out the rest of this article.
What White Photography Backgrounds Do
A white background may be too plain for some. But this is one of the simplest, most elegant looking, and the most beautiful photography style. Before you learn how to set up a white background for photography, read first the advantages of using this technique.
- Makes your product the center of attention – White background product photography is a technique used by many companies to promote their products, especially in the cosmetics and food industry. This kind of background will allow each detail of the item to stand out. The costumer's attention will only be drawn to the product because the white background offers no other distraction.
- Gives your craft a more professional look – If you are an online seller, using a white background for your product's shot will be a great advantage. This doesn't just give your brand a clean impression, but it will also make it look more professional. Clean and professional-looking shots can easily gain the trust of consumers. A white background also mirrors the creativity of the people behind the brand.
Tips for White Background Photography
Do you want to build a perfect image of your brand through photography, or do you want to offer your client the cleanest and most stunning portraits?
Check out some of the tips down below on how to set up a white background for photography:
- "What can I use for a white backdrop?" you probably ask yourself. You can use a long roll of solid white paper, a plain white cloth, or even a white painted wall. Having the perfect solid white backdrop is the first step on how to set up a white background for photography.
- Using a solid white background won't be an assurance that your camera will capture it as white, most of the time, because it may turn grey. To avoid this in your future photoshoot, use flash for your background. To do this, you need an external flash. Put it up to six feet away from your solid white background. It can add more light to the background without overexposing the subject.
- Place your subject on the right distance away from the background, and find the perfect angle.
- Using a lightbox as a piece of lighting equipment for this type of photography is a good deal. A lightbox can soften any direct light towards the subject, while it decreases the shadows. This can be too expensive for some, but this will surely make the photo of your products stand out.
- If you can't afford all that fancy lighting equipment, the best option is to switch to natural light, which is free! All you need is a wide-open window or any open space. Daylight photography requires timing because the sun can't provide you light all day long. The sun is a perfect alternative to give more exposure to your background.
- The last and final tip is to practice more and more to get the perfect white background shot.
So those are some ways on how to set up a white background for photography. You don't need to empty your wallets to buy expensive lighting equipment for one perfect shot. All you have to do is to unleash your inner creativity and pour out your passion for photography. Enjoy capturing the best shots! Learn about how to set up a studio here!
By: Tony Bruschel
Light plays an essential role in photography. Most professional photographers use light reflectors to compensate light in different angles to improve image quality.
By: Albert Mittle
Photography is mostly about capturing light. It only makes perfect sense that every photographer’s biggest task would be taking pictures in low-light conditions.