What Camera Lens To Use For Portraits?
Portrait photography is about portraying emotions, personality, and the essence of both the subject and the photographer. In this type of photography, the photographer uses lighting and location that shows the subject’s character and the emotion they want to portray in the image. To capture such emotion, the photographer must have the right equipment, like a good camera lens. If you’re new to this type of photography and wondering what camera lens to use for portraits, this article will surely help you.
Things to Consider
Before learning what camera lens to use for portraits, you need to understand that there are things that you should consider before choosing which is the best. They are:
- The number of lenses – Doing photo shoots is fun. However, photo shoots can be a little exhausting, and you don’t want the weight of your lenses to add up to your tiredness. Knowing what number of lenses you want to carry might be a big help. Aside from the relief and comfortability you’ll get while shooting, you’ll also get to take more shots.
- The number of people – Considering the number of people you want in the photo is also a must. You will know what camera lens to use for portraits with a large group of people. Having a greater number of people as a subject means you need a wider lens.
- Location – In portrait photography, location is one of the most important factors that you have to consider. If your location is outdoors, you can use a variety of lenses. Your location also says a lot about your background. So find a good location that will suit your theme.
- Lightings – Controlling the light will add up on the effect and emotions you want to portray. Just make sure that your subject is facing the light.
- Poses – If your subject is new to this, you can teach him or her how to pose. Just make sure not to exaggerate the poses unless that is what you want to portray.
Best Camera Lens for Portraits
Having a good camera is not enough in portrait photography. You have to make sure that you know what camera lens to use for portraits. To help you with that, here’s the list of the best lens for portrait photography:
- 35mm Lenses – The focal length of this lens is just perfect for portrait photography. The angle is important with this lens, so you need to hold it properly unless you want to make your subject short and stout.
- 50mm Lenses – This type of lens is compared to what human eyes can see. It gives you flexibility and will most likely improve your composition as a beginner.
- 85mm Lenses – One great thing about this lens is it makes less distortion compared to other lenses. You’ll get the artistic image quality you want with less effort.
Capturing Through a Camera Lens
Capturing emotions and personality through a camera lens is undeniably impressive. You just have to make sure that you and your client have the connection and compatibility with each other to capture the emotions you both want to portray. With the help of proper lightings, appropriate poses, great background, and the knowledge of what camera lens to use for portraits, you’ll surely produce stunning images. Discover more about camera lenses here!
By: Leslie Clyde
A lens case is essential in protecting your camera lens. Your camera lenses are one of the most expensive accessories on your camera, so you need to give it so much care and protection.
By: Albert Mittle
Having a camera is a big responsibility. It does not end when you already purchased it; it’s just the beginning of its care and maintenance.
By: Allan Meyer
It is frustrating to have a new camera lens, and when you have tried to put it on the camera body, the results of the photographs you took did not satisfy you.