How To Reset A Nest Camera
Google LLC is one of the biggest brands in the entire universe. Producing some of the best smart home products including but not limited to; smart TVs, smart speakers, routers, security systems, and a lot more! Speaking of security systems, they also have top of the line Nest cameras that will give you the most coverage when installing them in each of your respective homes. The Nest camera also has a lot of settings that you can personalize to your liking. However, due to its variety, it would become difficult to revert to the old settings. You'd then wonder how to reset the Nest camera. You don't have to worry, though, because it's easier than you think!
The Steps on How to Reset Your Nest Camera
The first thing you need to know before resetting your Nest camera is the difference between restarting and factory resetting. After you learn how to differentiate those two, you'll know how to reset the Nest camera. Restarting is generally a method wherein you reboot your Nest cam while retaining all of its settings. It also helps you troubleshoot minor problems such as internet connection problems, random freezing, or when it's just not working as you intended it be. On the other hand, factory resetting will fully erase all of your camera's options and settings as if it were brand new. Below are some of the steps that you can follow to reset your nest camera safely:
Before you restart it, you have to make sure that you disconnect it from any power source by unplugging its power adapter to avoid any voltage issues. Remember that you have to wait for 10 seconds before you plug the power back into the outlet. Once that is done, your camera has safely restarted.
After you've restarted and cleared it from potential minor issues, you can proceed to factory resetting it. Before you can do that, you have to identify which Nest product you currently have because each of the models offers different resetting methods.
For the Dropcam or Nest Cam
This is the easiest one to reset because it has no factory reset button but what you can do is that you can remove any of these cameras from your account. So no need to worry about the difficulty of how to reset the nest camera regarding this one. Here's a little guide on how to remove a camera from your account:
- Choose your camera. Go to your nest account and select the camera that you want to remove.
- Go to settings. If you want to save your personalized options, then you can take a screenshot or list them down so you can reapply them again after the factory reset.
- Go to the bottom part of the screen. Once you're there, you will see an option called "remove the camera." You tap it and press the confirm pop-up when prompted.
- Check your email. When you’re finished with the steps above and have done each of them correctly, you’ll get an email from Nest confirming that a specific camera has been removed successfully from your account.
And congrats! You now know how to reset nest Camera, specifically the Dropcam or Nest cam! The next thing you have to learn is resetting another type of Nest camera: the Nest Cam IQ Indoor and Outdoor.
You only have to follow these easy steps:
- Before resetting, you have to see to it that you are near your camera so you can easily reach and press the reset button. Note that you can't reset this type of Nest cam in the Nest app, unlike the previous model.
- Plugin your camera. This is a vital step as it keeps the camera alive during the whole process of resetting.
- Go to settings. Again, if you want to emulate your previous settings, jot them down to apply them back to your new device.
- Hold and press the reset button. Pay close attention to the camera as it will chime and start to spin yellow. When it turns blue, you can release the button. You’ll then notice that your camera’s lights will turn off.
- Check the nest app. After the factory reset, it will become offline when you check the nest app. You have to remove it by going to the bottom screen and the "remove camera."
Again, you'll get a confirmation email from Nest about the removal, and you're good to go! Know more about nest cameras.
With all the different steps you've learned, now you know how to reset the nest camera safely and efficiently! Never forget always to check your Nest app to keep track of your online and offline cameras just in case!
By: Albert Mittle
Google Nest can arguably be considered one of the companies that pioneered the development of smart technology for home products such as speakers, thermostats, smoke detectors, routers, and security devices, including doorbells locks, and cameras.